Saturday, March 1, 2008

Boof working hard at dinner time

Boof Bonser made some headlines last week when he showed up to training camp 30 pounds lighter. Many couldn't take their eyes off him, either out of a newfound attraction in the young boy (he's only 26) or in envy. Manager Ron Gardenhire falls into the latter. There was almost hatred in his voice as he spoke to the media. It was if he came to the realization that with Boof in trim shape there is no one left on the team that he could beat in a foot race besides gout infested Matt LeCroy and it really isn't fair to challenge him to a race when doctors are still weighing the options of whether or not amputation is the best option. Yes, there was sorrow in his voice as he spoke about Bonser and his off season Jenny Craig miracle.
"Bonser worked hard, but he worked hard on the field and off the field," Gardenhire said.
I'm not really sure what he means by working hard off the field. Is he saying that on top of Bonser losing weight that he also picked up a part-time job to pay the electric bill?
"He worked hard at dinner time."

Oh, I get it. I was confused for a second. Why didn't you tell me he was doing the seated Arnold presses and Hindu pushups in between each bite?
As an athlete, you have to know how to take care of yourself. I'm not being mean. I'm just saying that some guys really know how to take care of themselves off the field, and it's a learning process...
And then there are some that didn't learn very well and aren't very good about taking care of themselves off the field:
Oh, that was a low blow, even for me. What about this one?
Come on, the dude's a hall of famer and besides he's lost some weight recently...
Okay, Okay, I think I got one we can all live with:
So anyway, back to Gardenhire talking about Boof:
He's taken it by the horns, and I think you see the product out there."
Hmmm...I guess that speaks for itself?
Here's a thought, if Gardenhire can't find anyone else for his foot races I think this guy is still kicking around the ball park these days selling hot dogs and chasing foul balls.

It'll be a battle for the right to be called 'RonRon' but someone may already have that nickname and you probably don't want to mess with him.

1 comment:

Aaron Fix said...

I'm not sure I can link Twins fans to this blog in good faith if there is gonna be any trash talk about Kirby